Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I saw

I saw: men, women and children, all of whom were exactly those men, women and children, who looked as if they could be no other than those men, women and children, who looked as if they had chosen those very noses, jowls, tufting hairs and bouffant fringes; those peculiar gestures, funny walks; their very ages; as if they had all gone out that morning and chosen themselves from a display, paid up front, and now were, all of them, satisfied customers.

I saw: myself.

1 comment:

The International Community said...

I was very pleased to finally find a blog featuring a work of fiction tagged as "fringes, jowls, satisfied customers".
It reminded me somewhat of that Talking Heads song "Seen and Not Seen", where the narrator assumes that he (and everyone else) can shape their own face by force of will. "He wonders if he too might have made a similar mistake."